Urban Picnic Street Photography is a high quality resource for street photographers and everyone interested in photography based on a street theme.
This site strives for excellence in street photography.
Submissions to this website are curated to keep standards high and this page is a submission guide for you to know how to get your images published on UPSP.
Update August 2013
The Urban Picnic Street Photography project has been up and running for less than a year, yet its success has been overwhelming. The amount of submissions we receive through the UPSP website continues to grow exponentially. Our passion is to offer a high quality resource for street photographers, inspire others to reach these high standards and promote the best in contemporary street photography.
One of the issues we face is managing the plethora of these submissions. Our aim is to showcase the best in street photography but without some parameters we are in danger of diluting the standard of work held on the UPSP website. With this in mind we are moving the goal-posts slightly. Photos submitted to UPSP that fall within the broad criteria of street will be curated by the editors and if deemed a high enough standard will be published in the Street Photography ‘Image Pool’.
From the ‘Image Pool‘ the editors (both full-time and monthly guest editors) will decide which images go on to become published in the ‘Street Photography‘ and ‘Featured‘ sections. This will slow down the amount of featured images to no more than one or two a day and help define better what we consider to be great street photography. We’ll continue to publish these featured images across social networks and they will replace the ‘Best of the Day’. The street photography pool will be available to view and, more importantly, critique (the critique section has been moved to the UPSP Flickr Group). Although not a prerequisite to uploading we encourage photographers to discuss each others’ work. We feel this will help everyone understand better street photography as a genre.
A Note On The Editing Procedure
Different editors have varying tastes of street photography but as a basic guide we will edit submissions based along the following criteria:
1. The image should capture a ‘decisive moment’.
Examine the photograph and ask yourself whether taking the photograph a moment earlier or a moment later would have missed the shot. What is it about that split second captured that makes it ‘decisive’? What is happening in the shot that engages the viewer?
2. Artistic Merit
Do all the elements of the photograph come together to build the over-all picture? How well is the image composed in terms of foreground, background, geometry and composition?
How different is your photograph from the one next to it? Have you taken another cliché or does your photograph offer a different take on a scene?
- UPSP looks for the best and the editing process starts with you the photographer.
- Please read through our guide to street photography and types of street photography.
- View the photos that get featured and chosen by the editors – this is the standard expected.
- When you upload a new photo it is classed as ‘Pending’.
- Uploaded images are curated and categorised.
- When published the image status default is ‘Image Pool’.
- There is no long guide to what is allowed, but try to avoid large watermarks, borders and over manipulated images.
- Homeless and street performers will now not get published.
- ONE PHOTO PER PHOTOGRAPHER PER DAY.
- One uploaded image per post only.
- Ideal image size for upload = 930px width.
Submitted photos that lack imagination, poorly taken or have little artistic value will not be published. No reason will be given if your submitted photo wasn’t accepted onto the website.
- Photos that make it past the initial publishing criteria are categorised
- Pending – unpublished, waiting minimum review for quality
- Image Pool – Default category for published photos. Editors review this section to promote to Street Photography
- Street Photography – Generally a good shot and can be boosted to the featured category by editors, photographer community votes and positive feedback.
- Featured – High quality and interesting, imaginative and unique.
- Submitted photos may change category or be deleted retrospectively.
Images in the ‘Image Pool’ folder may be purged at a later date.
Photographers and subscribers are encouraged to give feedback on submitted images.
- Chosen by the editors and guest editors of UPSP and promoted as ‘Featured’.
- Editors’ Choice photos are chosen from the best photos submitted in a given month.
- Featured photographers are chosen by the editors for consistently producing outstanding images and contributions to the site
- Each month 2 or 3 guest editors are invited to curate for ‘Street Photography’ and choose their top shots to become ‘Featured’. Editors also choose their favourite image at the end of the month.
If your submitted photos do not appear it means they didn’t make it. Please do not re-submit. Every image is carefully checked for quality.
Thanks for using the site and enjoy the best in street photography.